Fiber breakout cable is a kind of fiber optic cable that contains several single-core optic fibers inside one outer cable jacket, and those single-core optic fiber are also covered by jackets. The design of fiber breakout cable adds strength for ruggedized drops, but the cable is larger and more expensive. Fiber breakout cable is suitable for short riser and plenum applications and also for use in conduits, where a very simple cable run is planned to avoid the use of any splicebox or spliced fiber pigtails.
The structure of fiber breakout cable (shown as the following figure) ensures a long life of the cable. The fiber breakout cable is composed of outer jacket, threaded connection device, breakout fiber assembly (tight-buffered fiber surrounded by aramid yarns outer layer and jacket ), reinforcing component and ripcord. In order to handle more easily, there is a 900 um coating which is easy to be stripped in the cable. Both the PVC and plenum cables are rated for fire safety.
- A fiber breakout cable can “break out”several fibers at any length. Therefore, in is necessary to code fiber breakout cable for easy identification.
- Each fiber has its own jacket and aramid reinforced component. This makes fiber breakout cable convenient to use and each fiber is very strong and durable. The following figure shows different types of fiber breakout cable.
- Each fiber adopts tight buffer technology or semi-tight buffer technology, so fiber breakout cable has a good ability to resist stripping.
- Each fiber of fiber breakout cable is reinforced individually. Therefore, fiber breakout cable can be divided into several individual fiber optic lines. In this way, it takes less time to connect the termination and there is no need for the patch panel.
- Due to the use of Kevlar component with increased strength, fiber breakout cable is much heavier and larger than the telecommunication type of cable with same fiber count.
- Fiber breakout cable is better than standard fiber optic patch cable, because it eliminates the need of a fiber optic ducting system. The cable is particularly effective when equipment stands in a large area, for example, several floors in a huge building.
- Fiber breakout cable has a better economy. It can save a lot of labor when connected to the termination. Although a cable that has more fibers is more than what you actually need, it is a good option in case of damage during the connection to the termination or future expansion.
Fiber breakout cable has a wide range of applications. It is suitable for short network design, such as LANs, data communication, video system and technology control environment. And fiber breakout cable is typically used in indoor applications: between the fiber optical distribution frame and the electronic equipment rack; between two electronic equipment racks. Some building environments require flame-retardant, non-toxic and smoke-free or flame-retardant with smoke and most fiber breakout cable can satisfy these requirements. And the cable is also suitable for pre-terminated cable assemblies. With a variety of designs and types, fiber breakout cable can meet the topological requirements in the hash environment. Fiber counts vary from single-core to 256. For installation which requires high strength, high reliability, maximum mechanical and environmental protection, fiber breakout cable is an ideal option.
Fiber breakout cable has good future prospects. With the trend of high-density in network communication, fiber breakout cable will play a more and more important role in network construction.